05 November 2010

Happy Halloween and where the hell are my cucumbers?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Ms. BRAGA....

Halloween 2010, Brisbane, Australia.

Halloween hasn't historically been a big deal here.  Having said that, a few Brisbanites reported to me that they had Trick-Or-Treaters come to their house this year without having pre-arranged it.  Normally, there is a street-wide agreement to offer lollies (candies) to the local kids in the hood so that they can get dressed up and re-inact stuff they see on movies.  I mean...who WOULDN'T want to dress up and be given candy all evening?  It surely helps that stores are trying to get people into it so that they can carry and sell heaps of Halloween merchandise.

My Halloween began with a little girl named Claire bringing me a cake that she baked.  It was a wonderful surprise.  The cutest thing was that after she said she would give me a big piece, she cut one about three times the size as mine and put it on her own plate.  Love it.  Claire and I had bonded recently because she adores veggie patches and always asks if she can come see the one on 18 Payne Street.  After we ate the sugary treat, she told me that she hasn't ever had an adult friend before.  awwww......

Claire with her "secret" cake; She refuses to tell me how she made it.
Halloween ended with neighborhood kids showing their lot and then replacing their costumes with bathers (swimsuits) and having a swim.
Notice all of the bagged candy and loose bits like marshmallows; I would have had to throw all of that away.

I have never experienced pool playtime on Halloween...
Now, onto the garden...

We have heaps of cucumber flowers but have only picked ONE cucumber almost a foot long.  The others are the size of those tiny pickles that you get offered at parties.  Where the hell are the other big cucumbers?  I am reliant on insects/bees to pollinate the plant for me (between the male and female flowers).  But, I might have to get some Q-tips and have a go...
Cucumbers are staked on the left; beet root are the closest plants; lettuces and chilies at the back.  

My first garlic ready to be cured/dried out before we eat it!

Staked rocket/arugula coming to seed, nasturtium, sweet potatoes growing up the wall in the back, aloe vera

..............in mid-move,  listening to some hip-hop.................
I'm off to the music store to play with some guitars and ukuleles.  Enjoy your day.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Sis! I love the hip hop pic and what a sweet girl! Thanks for including the cake pic....an adult friend...sooooo cute! Miss you and are counting down the days! Give Hugo a hug for us!

    ReplyDelete