20 June 2010

Plates of Granola and Bowls of Tardy Slips.

I had plans on Wednesday to attend a lecture/discussion on permaculture with an Australian woman named Carly.  She had sent me the link which contained all of the information about the event.  Clearly stated on the sponsoring organization's website was that there would be food and that everyone was encouraged to bring a plate.  I grabbed a green plastic plate and my bamboo utensils as was on my way.  I was seated when Carly showed up with a plate of falafel and enquired as to what I brought.  I looked at her with confusion and as I showed her my empty plate, I told her that the website said to bring "a plate".  She died laughing and then I realized the meaning of bringing a plate (of food).  Considering the event, I figured they were trying to cut down on the amount of garbage and requesting people to bring their own plates that they could bring home and wash themselves.  Help me out here...do we ever say "bring a plate" in the US and it means to bring a plate of food?  Have I completely lost it?  

While I don't need permission to complain on my own blog, please excuse the following rant: Damnation!  I'm not made for the prevalent acceptance of tardiness.  People are not on time anymore.  (excuse me. i mean people whose first name isn't Nathan or Darla)  And because of this, it almost forces you to  A) have a cellphone  and  B) ensure that it is with you AT EVERY MOMENT OF THE DAY AND NIGHT.  How many times has it happened that you are supposed to meet someone at...let's say...9:00am and then at 9:01am you get a call or a text from the person (good thing you had your phone with you) that they will be 30 minutes late?  Um...excuse me but wouldn't that have been useful information BEFORE I busted my ass to arrive by 9?!!  I could have clipped coupons or my nails or learned a card trick off of youtube.  I will admit that I'm becoming less and less uptight about it, but sometimes I just want to be able to make an appointment and have it be kept.  I just received an email confirmation for something at 2pm tomorrow.  Who knows...maybe they will be on time and restore my faith. 

This morning I made a batch of fresh granola with oats, wheat bran, barberries, raisins, cashews, flaxseeds, almonds, honey, oil and a pinch of salt.  Then, I made some tea with cardamon, cloves, cinnamon, peppercorn, black tea, honey and soy milk.  Needless to say, the kitchen smelled great.  After that culinary experience I helped Cam seal the slate floor in his house with a concoction of potent chemicals that--also needless to say-- made his house smell horrible.  We promptly left on a bike ride.

Many of you have asked about the winter here.  Last night was the coldest yet: 10 (50 F) and the first day of winter was a warm 22 (72 F).  We still have tomatoes coming in which I find incredible.   

HAPPY FATHERS' DAY to all of you daddies out there.

3 comments:

  1. I think this book is coming along just fine ;) I sure am enjoying reading every post (at my own pace and oftentimes several days after the fact, but at least they are there so I can catch up) :)
    Yummm, lovely granola! Do you like coconut flakes? They give a really nice taste an sweetness to it as well, if you haven't already tried :) but yours sounds yummy with the berries and raisins in it too :)
    Ah, enjoy your winter, it sounds kinda like our summer here right now...
    lotsa luv! /o

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and the plate thing - hahaha! omg, that is sooo cute and funny!!! :D
    Also, the time thing... interesting you should bring that up, as I am just now actually working more consciously on trying to improve my lousy being-on-time skills... and just this past friday I managed to succeed in all the five set appointments that I had!! So, from now on I'll have a mental carrot in "Benjie would be proud" or whip "hurry up, don't wanna make Benjie dissappointed" kinda thing going on :)
    oki. ciao! /o

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the 'bring a plate' is likely the equivalent to our 'bring a dish (to share)'...nice cultural sublety you picked up on there. Also, I confess, I am not a punctual person...never have been as hard as I try. I post my plans for 9:00-ish and hope my friends are forgiving. Now I just blame my tardiness on having two small children--who really do wait until we're loading up the car to say they need to go potty--even if they just went. Thanks again for sharing your time abroad through your blog--I love reading what you offer. Much love to you! - Hap

    ReplyDelete