12 June 2010

Cassava=Yuca=Manioc=Tapioca. And Surf's up, baby.

The surf was up and I got my first taste of it at Byron Bay.
Before I came to Oz, several of you asked what I was going to do here.  I (over)used the joke "maybe I'll become a surf bum."  At the time it was an innocent quip.  Now, I completely understand why some people want to spend all day on the waves--waiting on the vast sea surface assessing the breaks, paddling to the right place for the right moment and finally, letting the roaring waves whisk you away towards shore.  It was fantastic.  I do believe that Benjie could easily get hooked.  Speaking of "hooked", the only injury I sustained was hooking my foot on some sharp, coral-covered rock as I walked out of the water.  We should have gotten a photo of that...me in a short wetsuit, holding my board, foot bleeding.  That has Lonely Planet cover all over it!

After we were done surfing, Hugo, Cam and I played a bit of football (soccer) and then ate some delicious food before returning to our tents.  While you don't need to worry about bears at campgrounds, you do need to watch out for the bush turkeys:


These little suckers are everywhere.  I had to cackle loudly and throw rocks at one yesterday because it was perched on the back fence eyeing our garden.  They dig up plants and are a bloody nuisance.  
The garden is doing well.  I will be planting some herbs, silver beet and beans today.  Take a look at our romaine lettuce, one-legged grasshopper (who I believe has since drowned in the pool) and the worm farm (there is only one in the photo because they worms hate light and hurry to the bottom of the bin before I can take a photo):
 





At the farm this week, I helped prepare some food for the communal lunch.  There was this very rigid stalk with several thick roots coming from it.  When I enquired as to what it was, I was given a few names for it.  Cassava, Manioc, Tapioca, Yuca... we peeled, chopped and cooked the roots, mixed it with coconut milk and a bit of salt.  I cannot tell you how delicious it was.  We might even start growing some in our garden.  Maybe we could start a Bubble Tea stand with it.  Do you guys know these crazy drinks with the tapioca "pearls"?  I don't trust anything that requires a 2 centimenter--diameter straw.  I always imagine having one of the tapioca pieces get stuck in the straw...and when I finally DO manage to get the thing through, the sheer force will lodge it into my uninviting lung.

Yesterday evening was the coldest one so far...but it wasn't even that cold.  I made a hearty dahl of mung beans and sweet potatoes with rice to warm us up.  After, we ate some Anzac Biscuits (quite popular here; think of an oatmeal cookie with some pulverized coconut in it) that I made from a recipe that a former engineer-gone gardener gave me.  

My honey, Hugo...

continues to work so hard on his research.  His studies notwithstanding, he volunteered to give a presentation about talent transfer/sports to a group of 100 7th graders.  According to one of the teachers, he was a hit!  There were youngsters coming up to him to ask questions and get his opinion about their project for a science fair happening next week.  

I am waiting for my Blue Card application to be approved.  This card is obtained after a thorough background check is done and will allow me to work with youth.   I applied through the Northey Street City Farm and hope to eventually brainstorm on how to get more young people involved.  There are school groups that come through and spend a couple of hours at a time.  Most of the adolescents that I see there are those who are doing community service hours to work off fines from traffic violations, etc.  It is still early, but I have some ideas of things that might really be great for the farm and its community of youth.

I have so much more to write, but the sun is shining and there is planting to do out back.  So, I will leave all of you wonderful people with some recent photos.  Enjoy and take good care of yourselves.







DOLPHINS!

2 comments:

  1. You should seriously be writing a book! What amazing experiences you are having, my little sister! I love you so much and look forward to our next Skyping session! BTW, great pic of Hugo! What a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW.. How much fun!! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete