24 May 2010

an update for my dear friends and family---especially for philip

Today I made an Apple-Kiwi-Ginger Crumble with the best kiwis I've ever put in my mouth.  I've said it before and I'll say it again: the fruit here is like nothing I've tasted before.  Actually... there IS fruit that I've never tasted before.  It's called Lemonade fruit and tastes like a combination of orange and lemon but looks more like a lime. 

 














As some of you know, I am in the midst of painting the front stairs/railing of the house as well as the lower level made of timber.  I have a whole new appreciation for smooth surfaces.  I finished painting the flat slats and am now knee-deep in destroying my paintbrush on the terribly rough timber.  It's amazing how much harder it is to paint.  I am also working in the midst of ants which takes a bit of patience.  I have to wipe a surface clean to start slapping on the paint.  Because they travel by the hundreds, I end up painting (drowning) some innocent, unsuspecting ants in the grey pigment.  The horror!

As stated below, I have been shelling quite a few macadamia nuts.  It took me a bit of time to formulate an effective system.  But, I've now got it down. 
1. wedge nut-in-shell in a sidewalk crack with the small white dot facing up.
2. using a hammer, strike the shell with enough force to crack it open, but not enough force to smash the damn thing into smithereens. ideally, you want the crack to go down both sides so that you can easily extract the oil-rich and delicious-tasting nut from its casing.  this takes anywhere from one to eleven attempts.
3. use something clean to help remove the nut.  if there are little pieces of shell on the nut, blow on them to try to get them off.  if this doesn't work, use your (now) dirty fingers to get the schmutz off.  if towel is unavailable wipe hands on shirt or concrete. 
4. collect all of the edible parts in a pile and compare its mass to that of the shells you are discarding.  give a look of disgust at how TINY the amount is of the nuts you want to keep and how LONG it took you to extract that unimpressive quantity. 
5. compost shells or toss in wheelie bin.  give some of the nuts away to those you love, add them to your favorite dish or simply eat them plain.

As all of you surely know (especially those of you who have had or still have the last name "Bartos"), I have an incredible family.  Hugo and I received a box full of great things sent by my wonderful mother.  It had birthday presents and cards for Hugo from her, the Braga's and Baugh's.  Also included were gobs of other things ranging from a beautiful apron to Haribo gummi bears to an avocado seed (which I am going to let sprout and then plant with others in the garden).  Hugo and I had a ball taking turns and retrieving the many items.  Thanks for the care package, mom! 




No comments:

Post a Comment